Monday, June 1, 2009

Power of One Award


I am very blessed to have fabulous parents for many reasons, but that is another blog. My dad served as a Bishop for 13 years and then as a Stake President for the next 10 years. I was 5 years old when he was made a Bishop and then not released as a Stake President until after I was married and had Robby. My mom ALWAYS played the organ, thus, we were orphans in our Sacrament Meetings and were passed around to various families! We actually liked it, however! Obviously, I grew up never sitting with my dad in Sacrament Meeting. It's fun, now, though, because he uses any excuse to come to our Sacrament Meeting and I love sitting with him.
After his release from being a Stake President, he shortly became involved with the church's public affairs in our area. He was the president for years. He also became involved with the Interfaith Service Bureau, which is a council of representatives of every denomination in our valley. He has loved his service and feels that all of them are truly his brothers and sisters. He received a very honorable award a few years ago while he was the board president, but last week he received and 4 others received "The Power of One" award for all of his service. He has gotten this group hooked on canning at our cannery and they love it. He has attended so many of their religious functions, weddings, funerals, etc. and loves it. This past week, I was able to attend the awards dinner with he, my mom, brother, and neice and her boyfriend. Unfortunately, my sister was sick. It was very fun to hear so many people say such kind things to him and to me about him. I was so impressed with this group that at some time I would like to be involved. I'll just add it to my list of things I want to do. I am so proud of him and my mom, who supports him and stands by him through everything! I am soooo lucky!

1 comment: