

Heidi graduated from BYU-I a few weeks ago and graduated Magna Cum Laude! This was the largest class that has ever graduated in the winter term - 1,565. She was in the top of her class and would have been in the top 1% if it hadn't been for that B in clogging she got her freshman year. We are so proud of her. She was also selected by her department to attend a special luncheon attended by only 25 other students to dine with the president of the college and his wife, the visiting general authority, and a visiting education leader. She really is one of those people that just couldn't do much more with her life. She served as the Relief Society president in her ward during her senior year and part of her sophomore year. She studied abroad for two months during her junior year, and is just a fun and wonderful person to be around.
With that said, and mustering all of the selfish excitement I can muster, she is now moving forward to turn in her mission papers. She has always wanted to go on a mission and so I knew it was coming. She didn't make this decision lightly. She has been talking to her bishop, attending the temple doing baptisms, fasting, praying, and so I know that what she is doing is what Heavenly Father wants and needs her to do. Selfishly, I had plans with her, but they can wait. We text several times a day and every night when we say good night and exchange "I love you". Thank you, Alisa, for offering to let me send you text messages every night after she leaves! A good friend shared with me, however, that we will be able to develop an even better kind of closeness as we share her letters and experiences. She will be a fabulous missionary. I know she wants to serve because she is not worried about giving up all of her "stuff" that filled up Robby's car, and her car, and still had "stuff" that went to DI. I only boast about her because of her humbleness and feelings of inadequacy of being the best missionary. I can't think of anyone that is more prepared to minister to someone, somewhere, than her. She has all of the attributes and qualities for a great missionary, but yet is humble enough to know that she will learn more about herself and her relationship with the Savior. I feel very blessed to have her in my life as well as all of my other family members.
P.S. Ryan's plan is to have his papers turned in for his mission by August 1.
Congrats to Heidi...I love the drive these kids have. She packed a lot into her university years. Going on experience,it is fun for parents to live as well. Jeff has been my go=getter in College. He graduates on April 30, has attended 3 other university graduations in his capacity as Utah Student Regent of Higher education. (gets to wear the ROBE, sit in a place of honor...etc. He says that his pay!)
ReplyDeleteAs a mom of 2 "sister" missionaries, you will love the benefits of having her serve. You just have to make her promise to live in the Sacramento area when she gets married...NO EXCEPTIONS.
THANK YOU, MOM! I couldn't have done any of it without you... seriously! Your confidence and encouragement for me means the world to be, and I really, really appreciate it! I love you!
ReplyDeletePS: You keep making me cry!
She will be an amazing missionary and will never regret this difficult decision as she will see the effects of it her entire life. I am so excited for Heidi-Congratulations :)
ReplyDeleteSo awesome! Congratulations on such a great accomplishment! Let us know where she's going. If she's really lucky, maybe she can go to Austria... :-).
ReplyDelete