Tuesday, February 2, 2010

My Love For Socks and the Psychosis That Comes With It



I have a bachelor's degree in Psychology and a master's degree in Therapeutic Recreation. I have worked with men who have committed every horrendous crime known to mankind. I love psychology and trying to understand others' behaviors. It can be a blessing, particularly with my own kids and working with youth. One would think I have it all together. I do, but then there is my sock issue. Thank you Amy, for your towel post and allowing my psychosis to "sock" me.

I love socks. Nothing wrong with that, I know. Here's the problem....I HAVE to wear socks that coordinate with my outfit, sadly, even my pajamas. Every morning during the winter, I put on my daily socks. My socks MUST match my clothes that I am wearing for the day. I MUST match my socks when I get out of a nice warm bath and just put on my pajamas. I MUST match my socks, even when I am know I am wearing boots all day. I am not violent, nor do I see myself capable of committing any crime, unless I ever have to steal for socks (I am lacking some black ones). But somehow there needs to be a treatment facility for people like me. We are the same ones that must have towels for our guests who are too afraid to use our "guest" towels. We are the same ones who feel we must have a "living room" for our guests to come and visit, when in reality, we all end up in the family room and kitchen where all of the noise is - the very noise we try to avoid by finding a house with a "living room". We are the same ones who feel like failures if anyone should see our house not perfectly picked up because EVERYONE we know has a perfectly clean house. The list goes on and on....And, we are the same ones who have to blog about our neurotic thinking.

1 comment:

  1. I understand your torment and these are only the issues that we are choosing to disclose!! Remind me sometime to share with you how neurotic I am about my own running socks. PS didn't know what your degrees were in-consider me super impressed!

    ReplyDelete