Wednesday, January 28, 2009

"Happy Birthday, Grandma Crandall"

It appears that most bloggers use this as an excuse to keep a journal. I suppose I will be no different as this blog is probably more for myself than for anyone else. Today my Grandma Crandall (my mom's mom) would have been 103! I remember her well. My mom and I go to the cemetary every year and bring flowers on her birthday and death day. I was by myself this morning as my parents are out of town. I brought pink tulips - my favorite - and was the only one in the entire cemetary out there. It was nice and quiet and I wondered, in a strange way, what my grandparents might think about what I have accomplished with my life and the kind of person I am today. I believe the veil is very thin and we are blessed to have help from the other side. My grandparents on both my mom and dad's sides were so active in the church. My Grandpa Crandall was actually the Stake President when my dad was called to be a bishop in the same stake. While my grandpa was serving as a mission president in Tulsa, Oklahoma, he had a heart attack and died. It was heartbreaking for my grandma and for all of us. He told my grandma that he believed that someday my dad would be the stake president in that stake. Unfortunately, he wasn't alive to see his vision when my dad was ordained to be the Stake President years later. He happened to be the Stake President when my grandma passed away, who lived in our stake. I will be forever grateful for the temples and the Plan of Salvation. Interestingly, we had the missionaries over for dinner tonight, who teach that very message. I have always tried to have the missionaries regularly because I wanted my boys to feel the influence of missionaries and the spirit they bring. Robby served his mission in Russia and he never was in a position to ever eat in anyone's home. Not only was it not safe, it was also a question of poverty of the people. These missionaries are some mother's sons and I just know that they pray that others will take care of their missionaries while they are away serving.

I realize that a true blogger has her camera in tote everywhere she goes. Because I am still learning, and pictures always make for a fun blog, I thought I would just post a picture of Robby taken on the Black Sea during his mission at one of the few baptisms he had in Russia.

One a lighter note, last night I was only going to spend a short time beginning my blog page. I kept telling Trevor that I would play Trouble with him "in just a minute". Hours passed and I heard him telling one of the boys that mom can't do anything right now because she is going to be on the computer all night long. Yikes! I did play 2 games of Trouble with him, however. This morning when I showed him his pictures, he said, "So that is what you spent all night doing?" Out of the mouth of babes.......

No comments:

Post a Comment